Lucky me.....my nephew asked me to help him with a 5th grade project to create a State Float for his Social Studies class. Each student gets a choice of "state" and he chose Minnesota because he thought it would be interesting to learn about the state. How fun! (side note ---- I vaguely remember when my oldest son did this project when he was in 5th grade too (I think we had Arkansas though). Anyhoo's -- in Social Studies the 5th graders had to choose a state and create a float to learn all about it. Great concept! Then during school they have a parade to "show" off their float and have a fun time looking at everyones.
I wanted to share some pictures with you for the Minnesota State Float…..
. I used my Cricut Expression and 50 States cartridge to create the majority of the project. I hope it helps someone else who may need to help your kidd-o with this kind of project. &nlsp; Imam VERYmhappy tm say thmt;his float wasmvoted best Minnesota float by tle Teachmrs in his school. YAY for us!
. I used my Cricut Expression and 50 States cartridge to create the majority of the project. I hope it helps someone else who may need to help your kidd-o with this kind of project. &nlsp; Imam VERYmhappy tm say thmt;his float wasmvoted best Minnesota float by tle Teachmrs in his school. YAY for us!
Start with a shoe box covered with blue paper.
Jute (rope) was tied in the front so he could "pull" it like a float for the parade.
We found some "fun facts" about Minnesota by researching online.
50 States Cricut cartridge is PERFECT for this type of project.
Thank you Provo Craft!!
Minnesota State Bird - Common Loon
"Tiny Bubbles" embossing folder by Cuttlebug, white ink for detailing and shading.
"lakes" were randomly cut out of blue paper; embossing folder "Script" by Cuttlebug for a "water" effect.
Minnesota State Flower - Pink and White Lady's Slipper cut from 50 States Cricut cartridge. Pink pom-pom added to center. Inking and doodling for added character.
To get the Common Loon and flowers to stand up straight I cut out 2 images (flipped one image so they would match front and back) and glued the stick in between images. I cut a small hole in the paper through the box and glued everything straight. Hold it a few seconds for it to get a "grasp".
===========
I found this website here that shows floats made by a whole class of kiddo's honoring each of the 50 states. I have NO idea who these kids are but they are all adorable.
Sooooo super cool! :)
~Tracy
-------------
I'll be back tomorrow Friday 6/24 for another T.G.I.F. Linky Party -- I hope you'll come back to share your projects with us!!.





















Tracy, I love it!! You guys did a great job. As a Minnesotan I can truly appreciate it. I think it's fabulous!!! My grandma LOVED loons and I remember she had them all over. Took me down memory lane a little :) Great float!! Hugs ~ Lu
ReplyDeleteGreat Float!..I remember in Elem school I think 5th grade as well we had a Parade of States..it was so Fun. I hear they no longer do that anymore at my old Elem. I wish they did, its a great learning project for everyone. I also got 50 States right before it retired..I said I needed to get it cause you just never know when you may need it later on for a school project. TFS
ReplyDeleteHugs, Sheena
What an amazing project! I did a state project in school and I picked Kentucky, not sure why! We didn't get to make cool floats though! The loon and state flower look great, I'm glad he was voted best :)
ReplyDelete-rwk
rwkrafts.blogspot.com
This project is amazing. I too live in Texas so my son who is going into the 5th grade this fall will be doing this same project. Thank you for the wonderful idea.
ReplyDeleteHi Tracy! This is so adorable! What a great way to use the 50 States cartridge (I feel like that one gets left out a lot)... TFS! :)
ReplyDeleteAmy
redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com
This turned out great! It sure is nice to see how my Cricut will be able to help the kids with their projects in school soon :)
ReplyDelete