Hi everyone!! It's Suzanne here from Scrap With Suzy. I am SOO excited to be a guest on Tracy's blog today. (Thanks Tracy!!) I'm REALLY enjoying all the back to school fun she has going on this month. If you recognize myself/blog, you know I'm a first grade teacher by day :) I wanted to share my perspective on BIRTHDAYS as we're preparing to start the school year.
Birthdays are such a special time for younger kids (and older ones alike!). As a disclaimer, you always want to check with your child's school on the policies of parent volunteers, bringing in food items such as cupcakes, etc. and the preference of your child's teacher on such events. As a courtesy (and possible policy), contact the teacher at least a day or two in advance of any birthday plans. That said, here are my helpful hints for making your child's birthday special, but not disruptive in the classroom.
Edible Birthday Treats!
1. Request a class list and ensure you have enough treats for every student, teacher, or possible aid. Unfortunately, don't assume 24 will be enough - class sizes are on the rise! Making extras is a safe bet, but also students are usually permitted to take their extra treats around the school to offer other staff members. They *love* this.
2. Check with the teacher about food allergies and other conditions. If possible, make accommodations (such as a cupcake without icing for a child with diabetes). This is another reason why you want to notify the teacher in advance - he/she may prepare a substitute snack for affected students.
3. Individual servings are the way to go! Cupcakes, cookies, popsicles, dixie cup ice creams, etc. It is easier serve to students (and less wait for them if items need to be cut/prepared). Clean up is also easier! :)
4. Be prepared with paper products if you are not providing something in individual servings. Although I try to have these things on hand, there's nothing like a parent graciously dropping off a full size sheet cake for their child's birthday - but I have no knife, plates, forks to serve it. Dig in kids!
5. Finally, if you are providing something in a glass dish, for example, make arrangements for pick up in the school office. I cringe at the thought of these little cherubs getting on the bus with grandma's fine china!
Goodie Bags and Other Surprises
1. As an alternative to edible treats, some parents bring in a goodie bag for each child. These are a HUGE hit and you can get creative with inexpensive favors - such as a bubbles, pencils, bookmarks, or handmade gifts. Again, make sure you have one for everyone (and comparable amounts).
2. Speaking of one for everyone, PLEASE include a goodie bag for your child the birthday child! It is so sad to see the joy in their classmates' faces when they are passing them out and then realize they do not have one to enjoy themselves.
3. A great inspiration for finding birthday crafts is Pinterest! I give my first grade students each a book for the holidays, so like to do something different for their birthdays. This year I used THIS idea to make my own "balloons" using crazy straws (found 6 for $1) and cardstock:
I've also seen the same idea done with pencils and pixie sticks (ah! spare me :)
4. It's always fun to have your child wear a shirt/button/hat/etc that says "IT'S MY BIRTHDAY"! That way all day, everyone they see at school can know it's their special day and wish them a happy birthday. :)
Parties !!
1. Check your child's school/classroom party on passing out invitations to parties (do I sound like a broken record yet? lol). Our school has a "we strongly encourage you to invite everyone" policy if you're going to send invitations to school. But, let's face it - you don't have the money/space/sanity to invite 25 six year olds to your house/bowling alley/skating rink.. you get the picture ! :)
2. A general rule in my classroom is invitations go through me. They must put them on my desk and I pass them out at the end of the day in a low key manner. Take this opportunity to teach your child how to handle "Why wasn't I invited to your party?" May I suggest "I could only invite 6 friends on Saturday, but my parents said I could have a play date with you another day."
3. Consider asking your child's teacher to do what I do at the beginning of the year. I send a sign up to parents who would like to be included in our "class directory". This includes names (Not Bob's Mom hehe), phone numbers, address that they would like shared with other parents for the purpose of planning birthday parties and play dates (also helpful for missed homework!) That way, they don't need to put their children in the position of invitations at school AND trust me, you do not want first graders in charge of handing out phone numbers for contacts! lol!
I hope you found my birthday ideas helpful! It really is a special time in the year, where for one day your child can be the "center of attention". I wanted to add that if your child has a summer birthday, think about planning a "half birthday" day for them in December/January or an "unbirthday" day any day of the year! Although, I always pick a day in May to have a "summer birthday celebration day", the end of the school year is a busy time already, with special schedules and events going on.
I can't believe I'm talking about the end of another school year already. It really does go by fast!! Have a great back to school and fabulous year :)
========================
Thanks so much for your helpful tips Suzanne -- I'm thrilled to have you here.
♥Tracy













Oh!This is so Cute!!I had some much fun reading this post!!!!OMG!!!How awesome is that!Also,thanks for sharing the great ideas and the Do's and Don't's.ALL teachers will so ENJOY this post!!!
ReplyDeleteMigdalia
What a great article Suzanne!! :)
ReplyDelete