follow mefollow mefollow mefollow mefollow mefollow mefollow me

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Guest Blogger {Staying Crafty}

I'm super excited to have my friend Amber here today from Staying Crafty to share some wonderful decorations.  Amber is so super talented and I just love her style!  Thanks for being here today Amber!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



Hello everyone!  This is Amber from Staying Crafty and I'm so excited to be sharing on Tracy's blog today.  

Today I've decided to share my Halloween decoration table with you.  As well as a sort of product review on a foam haunted house kit by Creatology that can be purchased at Michaels.

I display holiday decorations on my dining room table. You can see it when you walk into my house and it is easy to display things here.  This year I purchased 2 sparkly candelabras from the Target $1 spot that are at the back of the table (and barely show in the photo.)  I have a cute cat decoration.  The pumpkin decorations are candle holders made to look like paper bags decorated as pumpkins.  They are really fun lit up at night and very easy to store.

I embellished 3 wine bottles to fit the Halloween theme.  Here is a close up shot of what they look like.


The main focus in the foam haunted house!  I purchased it at Michaels recently.  The brand is Creatology, which I believe is exclusive to them.  They have smaller kits that are less expensive, but this large kit retails for about $20 - so coupons or sales are the way to go on this one.


One thing I loved about the kit is that no glue is required.  This made it less messy and more convenient.  The main structure of the house has tabs on the ends that fit into each other and the decorations are mainly stickers.

It doesn't really come with instructions.  It shows a few photos on the back and you figure it out from there.  This particular kit had over 100 pieces, but most of that is the decorations.

As for putting the main structure together I had to take my time and think a little bit about what I was doing.  I didn't really have much trouble, but on my first try I did put 2 side pieces for the front part of the house in upside down.  I figured this out when they seemed to be sticking out below the bottom of the front piece so I pulled them apart and adjusted them. So, it was good to know those types of mistakes are easy to fix.

I ended up following the box picture pretty much exactly for placement of all my foam pieces, but then went back and added more sparkly bricks than I saw in the photo.  I had plenty of them.  Although, it is totally possible to completely change it up and make it look different.  The tree and tombstones lock into place in the base, but things like the ghosts, pumpkins, spiders, bats, etc are all stickers and could be placed anywhere you like.  My daughter had fun helping me punch out the pieces on the stickers and placing some of them on. The only thing to be warned about this is since the house is just foam it does have a lot of give if pressed too hard it will pop out of place, so kids who are particularly rough and tumble may not be good helpers with this project.

I am skeptical about how well this will store.  I think I need to keep it in a box because it will get dusty, especially since some of the stickers hang off the edges of things and have exposed adhesive on the back.

Overall I really enjoyed it and I think I'll try more of their foam kits in the future!  Just be warned they don't really come with much  instruction so you need to stop and think about it and it did take me a couple of hours to do, but there are lots of smaller kits that could easily be done in less time.

Happy fall!

Tracy, thanks so much for having me :)

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Super cute decorations. I did try one of their foam house hits for Easter with my 5 yr old grandson it was fun but you are right not much on the how to side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOOOVE those bottles, what a fabulous idea for a party... for any holiday! thanks!

    -rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, you rocked this project! If I see this kit,I'm gonna have to pick it up and give it a try.

    XO ~ Amy Jo (follower)
    amyjrockstar at gmail dot com
    http://lv2scrapandfibrofacts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment ~ I looooove comments. If you have a question -- just leave it here and I'll try to respond. If not, please feel free to email me at any time. Ü