
This is Spencer -- my sweet boy, my crafting buddy and my very strong-willed child!
We avoided going to public events limiting outings to school and family functions. Oh yes, there was the weekly trip to Church. The poor guy couldn't sit a minute without fidgeting, up, down and around the seat. It was very distracting to us and others, I know. BUT we continued be strong in our faith and were reminded by so many that Jesus said "bring the children to me". So we did -- every single week. Most people were understanding but some were/are not. When some people see an unruly child, they immediately become judgmental and blame the parenting. { insert big sigh here } We've raised one son into a respectful, gracious, well-mannered teen-ager so far -- so why can't we control the second one? Again, we didn't know what we were doing wrong.
I suspected Spencer may have ADHD around the age of 3 1/2 and when I spoke to our doctor about it he explained that he was very young and most testing is not until the age of 5. He said let's wait to see how he continues to develop and hopefully he will slow down. Nope -- didn't happen. It actually continued to get worse. He was getting stronger (physically) and his impulsive aggression would jeopardize his relationships with classmates, teachers and aides. It was so frustrating. I literally could not wait until he turned 5 years old. I did not wish, want or desire for my child to have a disorder, nor did I want to make an excuse for what was happening to him -- we just wanted to help him; find the answers we so desperately needed to raise our little boy.
Through the support of his school we had him tested for ADHD. Let's see…..going down the list…
- Hyperactivity: difficulty sitting still; being fidgety and squirmy. { ✓ yes}
- Inattention
: This might be noticed as distractibility (difficulty blocking out unimportant auditory or visual stimulation, having a short attention span); lack of attention (difficulty blocking out internal thoughts); executive function difficulties (problems with organization of materials and thoughts, resulting in losing, forgetting, or misplacing things; difficulty organizing and using information; difficulty with time management). { ✓ yes}= ALL OF THE ABOVE!!
- Impulsivity
: speaking or acting without thinking. { ✓ yes}
Okay, now what? There are many ways to treat ADHD but the most effective is through medication and a life style change. We've decided to try the medication as well as adjust our family life to be centered around Spencer's needs. Knowing that he is not in control of his behavior helps us understand what we are dealing with a little more. Making eye contact, explaining what he's doing wrong, how to do it right, what options would be better, having him repeat it back to us is working quite well (we're finishing out week 1 on the new med) and looking forward to more success!
I realize that medication is not for everyone --it's frightful, unheard of and never in a million years type of thing….. but you have to know your child, discuss with professionals, people who have been through this, research online, find a support system to answer most all of the questions. What if this works? What if this is the answer we've been praying for, the guidance we so desperately need??
We have a loooong road up ahead but there is so much relief, reassurance and comfort knowing that we can help our child. The second medication we're trying appears to be doing well for him and is giving us the availability of teaching him the social skills he needs to survive day to day living with ADHD. Will he grow out of it? Will he always need to be on medication?? That is something we do not know but the one thing I do know is that we will do everything in our power to help him grow into the man God created him to be.
We love you Spencer!!!
Thank you for your continued support, prayers, well wishes and understanding that ADHD is a real disorder that can be treated.
I will continue to post what I can and thank you for welcoming all of my guest bloggers. Please look for more fun stuff coming up at CJToo's blog!
~Tracy








Awe Tracy :( I pray for you and your family as you go through this. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI know what your going through my 12 year old daughter has ADHD and my oldest has ADD she doesn't have hipper in her. God bless you and your family
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain, Tracy. My youngest son had problems all through school but because he was not hyperactive I had a hard time getting any help. It's a long sad story and it was not until he was a junior in college and he sought out a therapist on his own that he was diagnosed with ADD. He has learned how to cope and at 39 is doing well.
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing your story with us about your Spencer. I am happy that you have found an answer for a starting point to help him. It's unfortunate that medication has such a bad reputation in our culture. What's so wrong with taking medication if it is helping, and making his life a more positive one? I'm glad you are seeing some improvements and I hope people become more understanding of your situation!
ReplyDelete-rachel w k
rwkrafts.blogspot.com
Thank you for sharing Tracy--and I do love that quote you put above his bed. It's something all parents need reminded of from time to time, when the days seem to never end.
ReplyDeleteI was a special education teacher, and I think it's wonderful that you are finding what's right for your son- it will take time, and may be frustrating- but, only you know what's best for him.
My daughter was the easy child-- my son can be trying -he is only 4, but I find myself comparing my own parenting and wondering what I've done differently- and I, like you, just have to remember that every child is different...and every child is wonderful in their own way. I love both of my kids- and will continue to pray for each of them and myself to be the best parent I can to each of them.
Again- thank you for sharing :)
I feel like I could have written your blog post word for word in regards to my own life with my son :-) God bless you and your family, I completely know and "get" what you are going through! Heather Forbes has been tremendously helpful for us as well. Google her....I love her!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story Tracy. I feel your pain also. My son has Down syndrome and ADHD. I want to encourage you in regards to the medication. It has made such a difference for my son and our family. The medication does its work so Joshua CAN make the right choices (most of the time). I will be praying for you and remember that God is in control.
ReplyDeleteHi Tracy!!!
ReplyDeleteI have 3 girls...13, 9, and 5...my 9 year old is a lot like how you mention Spencer being....except add in, lying, stealing, vandalism, poor school performance, lace of remorse...etc...We are not in a position to afford the medical care she needs...our mental health coverage carries a high deductible and I know it will be a LOOONNNNGGGG road and journey (esp. financially) Thanks for sharing your story b/c it is a relief to know that there is "someone who KNOWS what I deal with" day in and day out.
Blessings,
Valerie
Hi Tracy,
ReplyDeleteI will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. I had several people tell me my oldest son showed signs of ADHD ... he was 3 at the time. I get annoyed that people try to diagnose a disorder like ADHD but don't believe in the medications that can make it better. If you have high blood pressure, people don't say "don't use those meds, you'll have teach your body to self regulate."
I am glad to hear you are finding some solutions and I hope your family will continue to improve.
Big hugs, Cheryl
Thanks for sharing Tracy,and know that I am praying for your family everyday.Our son has ADHD and when he was 4 the "specialist"told us he needed to be instituionalized--that he would never be able to function in society.After thousands and thousands of dollars, so many doctors I can't even begin to count--we even had him in a special school for ADHD we put him in public school here in rural Alabama and he was taking ritalin.The school had teachers that specialized in adhd and we also had a tutor----to make a LONG story shorter----in High School he told us he wanted to stop his ritalin.He did and he kept his grades up.His senior year the Principal of our HS have him a scholoship for the most achievement.He has since gone to Auburn University and graduated in 4 years in Information Technology Management and is now working for the Federal Government.My point is I cried and I cried and I cried and I had no idea how to handle any of it---but trust me----it does take a village to raise a child.We were so blessed in our Church to have so many loving people to love William and to love us.I don't believe in labeling children and that's what they wanted to do with mine.Your baby will be just fine.Remember me when he graduates college and you are so proud of HIM.I always felt very alone----like I said this has been years ago---when they first started social security for adhd----I had the papers to fill out---but wouldn't do it.If you ever need me my email is amc35045@bellsouth.net.
ReplyDeleteLove,Hugs and Prayers,Anita
Praying for you and your sweet boy Tracy!
ReplyDeleteTracy thank you for sharing about your family and your son. I can only begin to understand what you are going through. I will keep you and your family in my prayers and pray that things go well for you day to day. Your family comes first and we come second. Take all the time you need. We will be here for you when you can come back more.
ReplyDeleteLove and hugs to you and your family
Lisa Scrappingpinklady
My oldest who is now 29 - I knew she was active from pregnancy - omg (why i ever thought of having more after her pregnancy and from then on - amazes me) lol I didn't know the words ADHD - I just knew she was strong willed and ACTIVE - I let her have the space to run. (thank goodness I was young) at age 8 - the term ADHD came to me after the teachers were loosing their coolness with her.. I UNDERSTAND!!! she now has a 8 yr old with ADHD.. LOL - paybacks!!! doris
ReplyDeleteparkernana5@cox.net
Tracy,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing your personal story. I have been debating on taking my 7 yr old for testing and now your message has helped me make up my mind and make this a priority. You have a beautiful son and I hope things get better from here on out! Thanks Shannon
Hey Tracy
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and your family. I am lifting each one of you up in prayer this week as well. I admire you so much.
Marilyn C.
Let me offer you some hope! My son was diagnosed at age 7 and was on Ritalin for 7 1/2 years (this was a while ago, before the newer meds). He is not 32 and he's fantastic! I am so proud of him... and us for surviving. It was not easy, as you know "strong-willed" only begins to describe it, but these are the sweetest, most caring people I know. And I know lots. I am now a special education teacher in a high school. Many of my students are ADHD, and they are wonderful! As for meds, well, if my child was diabetic I wouldn't hesitate to give him meds, and this is no different. It is just as debilitating, just as liable to limit the ability to live life fully. The meds are NOT bad, no worse than any other. You are NOT drugging your child. If the meds make your child a zombie (as I hear far too often) you have the wrong med.
ReplyDeleteGood luck! You have a lot to learn and a lot of loving to experience. I'll pray for you all.
Tracy, I don't know how I missed this post but I did. My heart goes out to you. My children did not have this but we my nephew has this and it was so difficult. Thank you for sharing... he and your family is lifted.
ReplyDeleteDon’t you worry too much about what your kid have because if you worry too much you can’t focus on a solution to solve it. If you have a problem, does worrying solve it? Of course it can’t! Remember that there are many ways to solve a problem.
ReplyDelete