follow mefollow mefollow mefollow mefollow mefollow mefollow me

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fun Foam Plant Pokes ~ Creation Story {God Gives Us Land}

Happy Sunday everyone!  Today is family day in the Wellmann home and what I love most about Sundays is being able to attend Mass with my family and then teach a Sunday School/CCE (Catholic Continuing Education) class of 10 kindergarteners about God's love.  I've decided to share this with you on Sunday's here at Craft Junkie Too as inspiration to create or share with your children or grandchildren.  Since I teach 5 year olds I look for simple crafts.   I hope you find these simple ideas uplifting.  
-------------------
I ♥ being a Kindergarten Sunday School teacher because I really enjoy the lessons that I get to do with the children.  The first six weeks of our kindergarten curriculum consists of the Story of Creation,  each week our lesson includes one of the 6 days it takes for God to create the world. This week we are on Day 4 which is when God Gives Us Land.  
I have the children for 1 hour and within that hour we have prayer, lesson, snack and craft.  It takes some planning but I usually feel really good about how we spent our time.  
To go along with today's lesson ~ "God Gives Us Land" we created these adorable Plant Pokes to take home.  

The creator of Fun Foam is a pure genius because it is one of the best craft materials for small children (in my humble opinion)  You can find Fun Foam in the craft section is a variety of colors and designs.  Its color doesn't fade and it's easy to cut, glue and make cute little projects with.   Perfect for little hands to manipulate.
Since I have a class of boys and girls I had both flowers and sport balls for the children to choose from to make their plant poke. Of course, all of the girls chose the flowers and most all of the boys chose the sports ball.  So funny!
When planning a craft project for my students I've found it helpful to have everything ready to go where they only have to do up to 2 more steps during class.  
Last night I decided to add a cute smiley face to the center of the flower and my Peachy Keen faces were the perfect choice.  To ensure it wouldn't smear if it gets wet I used Black Staz On ink.  I stamped the faces onto fun foam and then used my Martha Stewart Circle Cutter to cut out the faces.  
The fun foam is too think for a circle punch. :(  
I had everything ready to go where all the children had to do was pick 2 flowers or balls for their plant poke.  
I gave them each a paper pennant to color and cut out for their stick. 
{freebie} - right click and save to your computer.
Insert as a picture into a document as many times as you need to.  Print and cut.  :)

Here are other crafty ideas I did with my students:
Creation Day 1 ~ Paper Plate World (God Created the World)
Creation Day 2 ~ Paper Plate Sun (God Gives Us Light)
Creation Day 3 ~ Water Bottles (God Gives Us Water)
~Tracy


Subscribe to Craft Junkie Too by Email
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Tracy, what a great idea! I teach High School CCD once a month for 3 hours, it's always a challenge to come up with things to keep them focused! You are doing great!
    Miranda :)
    www.nanasscrapspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miranda -- I appreciate that! :)
    xo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment ~ I looooove comments. If you have a question -- just leave it here and I'll try to respond. If not, please feel free to email me at any time. Ü