follow mefollow mefollow mefollow mefollow mefollow mefollow me

Monday, April 30, 2012

Spice Cabinet Reorganization with Recycled Cricut cartridge boxes

Over the years I've collected many bottles of spices, food preparation assistants and other odds and ends that cluttered my spice cabinet.  One of my favorite ideas I see on pinterest is the home organization pictures, tutorials and ideas that so many creative people share.  When I decided it was time (way past time in fact) to de-clutter and go through my spice cabinet I wanted a process that was a little less complicated and would suit my need to have everything at my fingertips when preparing a meal.  

Let us begin….

I pulled everything out of the cabinet before I thought to do a before and after photo for you…..BUT I'm sure you can imagine all of this "stuff".   



TO THIS…..{{love}}

One of the first things I did was go through the dates on the bottles or containers to look for any that were expired or maybe I've had too long.  

I then discovered I had 3 bottles of cinnamon, 2 bottles of nutmeg and several of garlic powder….(sigh) -- hence the need to reorganize my spice cabinet….so much wasted $$ and space on doubles or triples of stuff.  :(

I had been using 2 lazy susans for most of my little spices but wanted something a little different that would help me visualize all of the bottles at a glance or within eye sight -- a spice riser so to speak.  The spinner just wasn't working anymore!!



I was determined to finish this project today and didn't want to drive into town to look for a special rack so I put my thinking cap on and thought about some of the things I already had that would give me height?  

hmmmmm…..

Recycled Cricut cartridge boxes to the rescue!!  YAY!!


These boxes are strong, sturdy boxes and since I keep my cartridge, book and overlay in plastic bins I have several of these boxes just waiting for my next project.  

No time to wait for spray paint to dry so I grabbed some black vinyl and covered each box around the outside.  I didn't really care if there was wrinkles or bubbles in the vinyl I just wanted them covered quickly and they would be covered up anyways.  :)


I then started from scratch with a clean slate…..

My first thought was to line the boxes up along the back of the cabinet and put my small spices on top (like a ledge)….but they were still a little short….so….hmmmm….  I put my thinking cap back on and came up with the next idea….


I covered a couple more boxes with black vinyl so I could lay one flat and stand the other one on top….this provided me with another inch ++ to my height in the back.  Works PERFECT!  :) Yes, this is the idea I was trying to achieve.  

Now I can see my little spices along with back and the taller bottles down front….wooo hoooo!!  

I also alphabetized my spices so I could find them even quicker.  Smart, huh?  lol!!



….and I know you're wondering what is in the red strawberry, right??

Toothpicks!!

When my hubby and I first got married I decorated my kitchen in strawberries.  I found this little strawberry container at a thrift store years ago and it holds our toothpicks perfectly.  I just can't part with it.  Its that little reminder of how my kitchen was decorated years ago.  


Well, there you have a few tips and tricks for using recycled cricut boxes to provide some height for my Spice Cabinet Reorganization project.

Thanks for reading and I'll be back soon!

Have a sweet week everyone!! 

Sharing this idea by linking up at these parties this week.

♥Tracy





Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Great idea Tracey!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project Tracy!!Love the strawberry :)

    Hugs, Sheena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never would have guessed! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You reminded me I need to clean out my turntables and revolving cabinet. I like your ideas. I'm so short though so I can't put things real high. I already have a step stool in the kitchen that I stumble over every day but can't be without it. Oh well, off to clean. Thanks for all your ideas Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea!! Thanks for sharing!
    Angela
    gypsydreamdsigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea, stopping by from the Tuesday Time Out link party

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment ~ I looooove comments. If you have a question -- just leave it here and I'll try to respond. If not, please feel free to email me at any time. Ü